GRC Forums

Gulf Roleplaying Community - connecting tabletop gamers throughout the Arabian Gulf
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:41 pm

All times are UTC + 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:18 am 

Wowzers, I have just opened a can of multi-coloured worms. I am looking at virtual tabletop (VT) software. I don’t actually want to play VT games; thankfully, The GRC has nullified the need for me to do so. What I want is to remove the ‘Star Trek’ factor, which has bedevilled games like their namesake for decades.
The problem I am trying to solve is this (as shown by Sigourney Weaver’s PC in Galaxy Quest). All the players are sat in a room. The captain orders a scan of the planet. The player with the science officer PC rolls and does a scan. I tell him the computer results. In doing so every player also hears them. The science officer’s player then says, ‘as he said.’
In my games this has become a verb, as in: ‘I startrek that. ‘ In other words passing information to the PCs that their players already know.
Before I hear the usual suggestions, I will take players outside for ‘secret’ moments, and have used envelopes with differing levels of reveals on them.’ Both are clumsy.
What I would love, for games where PCs are sat in front of a computer or wired into the net is for me to be able to give them information (after they have rolled), from my computer to theirs. The information being copy and pasted, plain-old typed, or a graphic, such as map sent. I would like that player/PC to be able to patch anything sent into another screen.
Has anyone used VT software? Could I do this? How easy is it? (BTW I have played Artemis and it’s brilliant, but not what I need).
If this was a kickstarter I would add an expansion goal. I would love to create a bespoke framework for the players to access this information. With logos of the organisation they are in and such.
I am also curious as how much it would be to ask someone to program a ‘game’ where an engineer has to ‘fix’ an engine, or a scan technician had to fine tune something to get the actual scan. I know it would be doable, but have no idea how much.
If anyone has any thoughts I’d welcome them.
Many thanks.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:24 am 

PS can anyone advise on home projectors? It would be amazing to have a mainscreen on a wall.

And, sheesh!

http://rpgvirtualtabletop.wikidot.com/choosing-a-vt

www.battlegroundsgames.com/licenses.html

http://www.rptools.net/

http://www.rpgtableonline.com/welcome.php

http://www.nbos.com/products/screenmonk ... monkey.htm

http://www.3dvirtualtabletop.com/index.html

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:17 pm 
Site Admin

I've experimented with Fantasy Grounds, Roll 20 and Battlegrounds.

I've also been playing with Realm Works, which although it isn't a VTT may offer you what you're looking for - eventually.

All these offer some kind of 'fog of war' which restict what the players can see.

Fantasy Grounds: Images and notes must be shared with all players, but a GM can 'whisper' to individual players though the text-based chat interface. Players can also 'whisper' to each other, without anyone else seeing (the GM can set preferences so that he can see 'whispers' between players, but it's not activated by default).

Battlegrounds: I don't think it can do it. Fog of war and chats are shared between all players. I may be wrong, and my current version may not be the latest.

Roll 20: Haven't been able to get this working well enough to test fine details like this.

Realm Works: At the moment the sharing function is not active. When it is activated, the first phase will mean shared information is visible to all players. Lone Wolf have said they are looking into a system where information can be shared with players on an individual basis, but it is further down the line.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 6:19 pm 

You want to be able to copy and paste, you have all the information typed up and ready and depending on the roll you'll give them some part of it. Then I think what you're looking for is a chat program rather than a virtual table top. You can share images, documents and even videos through chat windows, and determine who in the group gets the info. The chat history can be saved and archived for reference if needed.
William has a good point for WhatsApp, but that's if you're doing things on the fly, not very useful for copy/paste and can only be used mobile phone to mobile phone. Twitter is a better option as you can tweet from a computer and create accounts with character names.
MSN Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, or even Facebook messenger can also work. And if its a SciFi game, let the science officer use an iPad as his scanner.

AKA Argoth Brokentusk
AKA Gore the Boar
AKA J.J. Scarlett
AKA Thiago the Leomachi
AKA Cyrus Trask
AKA Garatox Bloodfrenzy
AKA Nestor Jaurez

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:06 pm 

Rusty wrote:

gogames. me