GRC Forums

Gulf Roleplaying Community - connecting tabletop gamers throughout the Arabian Gulf
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:50 am

All times are UTC + 4 hours

Post subject: MMO Meet-Up: ESO
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:14 am 

Hi gang, thought I'd start a forum topic, as we went on a bit much on the fb page.

If you want to meetup in ESO my handle is: @countmercury Use the friends list to send a request I'll add you.

Right now looking like my main character will be Daggerfall faction. After launch, I'm up for any faction as my main character will be an Imperial.

Use this thread to coordinate meetup, guild, parties, etc.

Post subject: Re: MMO Meet-Up: ESO
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:30 am 

Gameplay Impressions

Wow. A blast from the past. I've not played in an Elder Scrolls game since Daggerfall way back in the day. I spent about three hours with the game yesterday, and here are some of my impressions.

Graphics
Character models - Lovely. Characters and monsters look great.
Terrain - Looks good. Great little arabesque town in my starter area (Daggerfall Covenant)
Ships - Uh, these guys can't do ships to save their life. Graphics look lifted from Daggerfall back in 1993. This might be easy to overlook, but they seem to be prominent in every starter area.

Gameplay
It's Elder Scrolls....Online. If you enjoy Elder Scrolls style gameplay, you should like this game. I'm indifferent to it, and maybe even slightly turned off by it. That said, I stuck with the game and found I really liked how advancement and leveling works. The ability to change out weapons and start a new leveling track and all that jazz. You find yourself being a kleptomaniac, much like when playing the standalone game. Rifling through nightstands, taking food or bottles from a table, a waterskin is a treasure item, etc. It's a little odd in a new MMO to have such old school features, but these are the hallmark of the Elder Scrolls games.

I find the point and click to loot really annoying, and was glad to see that when you had multiple bodies in one area if you looted one you looted all.

Combat took time for me to warm up to. Again, it is ES style. Mouseclick to swing type stuff. Some special abilities from a skill slot. You have to manage the skill slot, you get more skills than you can equip at any one time. Managing your build is a feature of the game, one that for now is certainly making it keep my interest.

As others of have noted, the game does not blow you away coming out the gate. Maybe that's a good thing? I loved GW2 for all the innovations and fast game play, etc. Can't log in to it now for more than 20 minutes before I find the whole thing too annoying. I don't know where I am on ESO. I'll play beta and my first month for sure. If I can find a guild, I could see sticking with the game for a couple years. Being an ES game there should be a great deal of depth to the story. I never finished ES Daggerfall. I recall joking back then that there was so much to the game I'd save it for when I was retired and actually had free time to complete it. From the amount of lore in the starter zones alone, I expect ESO to be much the same.

Post subject: Re: MMO Meet-Up: ESO
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:39 pm 

I found it pretty much exactly like sky rim to be honest. However the addition of other players, along with the leveling up thing, left me smiling. I did not get into the crafting, in the stand alone game its actually a worth while thing to do, in the mmo I think its going to be more so.

In the end it was fun.