GRC Forums

Gulf Roleplaying Community - connecting tabletop gamers throughout the Arabian Gulf
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:48 am

All times are UTC + 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:37 pm 

Hi Tam,

If possible, make sure you join the facebook group too. You'll get speedier responses. Also, feel free to contact myself or the Dubai rep (Mo. Khan.), if you're looking for a game to join.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:33 am 

Hello and as-salam alaykum! I'm WJ MacGuffin, otherwise known as Bill. I respond to either, including some terms that are best left off this post lest I break the forum rules already.

I cut my teeth on 1st. edition D&D and have played every edition since, although these days, I'm more into Pathfinder. Besides the usual fantasy rpg, I love playing PARANOIA, FATE, Savage Worlds (except for combat, which seems to take forever), and story games like Fiasco or DitV. I especially love running or playing a rpg that I've never tried before. For me, it's less about the rules/setting and more about spending time with fellow gamers, eating snacks, and making bad jokes. I'm a social gamer!

Besides rpgs, I'm into the geekier board games (Catan, Ascension, Waterdeep, et. al.), love me some science fiction (reading The Long Earth by Pratchett and Anderson right now), and can have fun just sitting back and watching football (Euro or American). In my real life, I'm a teacher, school administrator, game designer, and fledgling author. Yes, I get bored easily.

I'm an American expat. I was born in New Jersey, grew up in Florida, lived for three years on a small Pacific island (Saipan), spent the past 10 years in Illinois, and now I live in Riyadh. While that means I won't be dropping by for games every weekend, I do plan on flying over for a mini-con and bit of tourism in the near future.

Feel free to drop me a line anytime, especially if you want to talk about game design: wjmacguffin at gmail. I could talk about that stuff for ages.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:20 am 

Hey guys, I'm Shaheen and looks like my old account went with the old forum program..... anyways its an honor to meet you people and i hope to play as much RPG as possible!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:44 pm 

Kevin here, also go by Haroun, or "sir" to my students.

Gamer since '79. Like Andy I started with Holmes and moved to 1st Ed. in short order. Had a pretty good run of Empire of the Petal Throne as well (I challenge other Grognards to beat that). Oh, and a ton Gamma World after getting introduced to it through Metamorphosis Alpha. (Pretty sure that establishes my silver back status.) Ran games from the start. Played waaaay too much GURPS during college. Ran Vampire when it came out, Mage and then had enough WoD for a long time. FASA Star Trek, Call of Cthulhu, is in there somewhere as well.

Stayed out of D&D for the edition wars as I ran out of time for regular gaming. Was delighted to meet Norman, Li and others at the first MEFCC and know there were other gamers in the area. For some reason I've been more interested in wargames than RPG's since getting back into it, but certainly consider myself a roleplayer at heart. (On a side note: Russell, I overheard you saying I was a wargamer getting into rpg's at the last minicon. I think the dates above establish I was DM'ing while you were still sucking on your mother's teat. Just for the record.)

Anyway, I live in Abu Dhabi and am trying to get back to a regular RPG schedule. I do have a regular wargaming schedule. After some recent inspiration I'm looking to run an OSR based campaign in a homemade setting - "Tales of the Fire Witch". Considering some WoD/Dresden Files/Horror type campaign as well. Much to my own surprise I'm looking forward to D&D Next.

These days, the two games I recommend for people looking to get into RPG's are Fantasy Flight Games Edge of the Empire - Star Wars roleplaying. Very accessible. Excellent starter box. For those wanting to play "DnD" I recommend Pathfinder. Also an excellent starter box and a better ruleset than 4th Ed. Also higher production values, in my opinion, than WotC.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:38 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, you beat me on EPT and Metamorphosis Alpha. I do have the EPT volumes released in the mid-80s, but I've never really managed to get into the setting, and I've never even seen a copy of MA.

I've still got my old Gamma World and Boot Hill rulebooks, though the boxes have long since vanished. Gamma World was a fun setting - total gonzo science fantasy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:46 pm 

Hello Everyone,

I'm Xrys. I'm one of the outlier Ras Al Khaimah gamers.

I got my first computer in 1980 and started gaming with Clowns and Balloons on a Trash80, moving on to Atari and commodore 64 and eventually nearly every popular system from that time to today barring the gamecube...don't ask. I had heard about RPG tabletop games, but never ran into anyone who played. It wasn't until 1994 that I had my first introduction with a round of Palladium and eventually developed into the gamer I am today.
I was introduced to the GRC during the 2013 MEFCC, and was given the opportunity to GM a session at the minicon in January 2014.

I like to play fantasy, horror and sci-fi systems, including but not limited to Palladium & Rifts, Dead Reign, All Flesh Must be Eaten, Nightbane, Ninjas & Superspies, Systems Failure, D&D, Cthulu iterations, and recently Pathfinder. Most Saturdays I go to Dubai for Shadowrun. On occasion I GM/ZM/DM D&D, Dead Reign, and AFMbE.

I am also into the SCA (Society of Creative Anachronism) .

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:36 am 

Hi all,

My name is Vic Lindsay, and I'm based in Abu Dhabi. With two very young children, my opportunities for gaming may be limited, but thought I'd get involved anyway.

Right now, I'm mostly into playing Magic: The Gathering, but have always wanted to try my hand at Wargames.